Tia Mowry’s Hawaiian-style Beef Short Ribs
Tia Mowry has been in the public eye for over 20 years, gaining initial fame in her teens starring opposite her twin sister, Tamera Mowry, in the hit comedy Sister Sister. Today, you can find her writing cookbooks and starring in Tia Mowry at Home on E!.
Hawaiian-style Beef Short Ribs is in the tradition of the Korean-influenced Hawaiian ‘plate lunch’, normally served with sides including white rice, mayonnaise-based macaroni salad or kimchi (Korean pickled cabbage).
Preparation time: 4hrs 30mins
- 1 4-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced, plus orange slices, for serving
- 1 10-ounce bottle teriyaki sauce
- 2lbs Korean-style short ribs (beef chuck flanken cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick slices across the bones)
- In a large resealable bag, combine the ginger, half of the green onions, the garlic, jalapeno, orange zest and juice, teriyaki sauce and short ribs. Swirl around a few times to cover the ribs in the marinade.
- Marinate for at least 3 hours up to overnight in the refrigerator. Midway through, swirl the ribs again to ensure the marinade covers all.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off any excess liquid; reserve the remaining marinade for the sauce. Grill the ribs until well caramelised and cooked to desired doneness, 5 to 7 minutes per side, turning regularly. Remove to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, pour the marinade from the bag into a saucepan. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat and boil until reduced by half, at least 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the grilled ribs. Sprinkle with the remaining green onions, and garnish with sesame seeds and orange slices. Serve with kimchi.
If you enjoyed Tia Mowry’s Hawaiian-style Beef Short Ribs recipe then see also: The Hairy Bikers’ Cialledda Salad