Here’s another selection of vegan snacks ideal for summer picnics from Louise Palmer-Masterton of Stem & Glory.
Louise is founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory, hip and trendy but accessible plant-based restaurants, serving delicious gourmet vegan food from locally sourced ingredients. Stem & Glory also offers click-and-collect and local delivery in London and Cambridge. In addition, Stem & Glory offers a range of ready meals, finish at home pizzas, and recipe kits available for delivery across the UK.
See also: Jane Dunn’s Gin & Tonic Loaf Cake
Red Pepper Dip
This is sweet and smoky and perfect as a dip, or served on the side with just about anything.
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 large whole clove garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together so everything is lightly coated with olive oil. Add more oil if needed.
- Place into a shallow baking tin and roast at 180C for 25 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly, then blend until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper to your taste. The dip should be sweet, smoky and very tasty!
Vegan ‘Egg’ Mayo Sandwiches
Makes 2-4 rounds of sandwiches depending on the bread size
- 250g smoked tofu
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp engevita flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- + Vegan salad cream until you have the right consistency
- Crumble the tofu with your hands into small pieces. Doesn’t matter if some pieces are larger than others.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add approximately 2 tbsp vegan salad cream.
- Add the crumbled tofu and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add more salad cream until you get the right consistency (tofu should be well coated but not too runny).
- If you don’t have vegan salad cream just use more mayo and add a dash of agave syrup and a dash of lemon juice.
- Serve a generous layer into a sandwich made from bread of your choice. As the filling is slightly soft, a softer bread works well with this one.