A satisfying plant-based centrepiece for a festive meal
With the latest stats from The Vegan Society stating that 1 in 4 Brits have reduced the amount of animal products they are consuming since the pandemic, there has never been such a demand as there is this Christmas to celebrate the ‘most wonderful time of the year’ with vegan alternatives.
Plant-based seasoning brand Yondu has created a satisfying, visually tempting and easy to make Mushroom and Swiss Chard Wellington; the perfect alternative to the traditional turkey.
Using Yondu vegetable umami is the ideal way to add depth of flavour and demonstrate that plant-based dishes never have to be boring. In fact, this meal takes the stress out of Christmas Day cooking as it is only seasoned with Yondu. This all plant-based product has been recognised as a highly commended vegan and vegetarian cupboard product in the Veggie Awards 2021 and is capable not only carrying, but elevating such an important annual meal.
Total time: 1 hour
Concept: A vegan main dish for special occasions
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 Swiss chard, chopped
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Yondu
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions, thyme and a drizzle of Yondu. Cook and stir until golden and soft, about 5 minutes.
- To skillet, add Swiss chard and 2 tablespoons of Yondu; cook and stir until wilted.
- Remove mixture from pan and place in a strainer. Press mixture with a wooden spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Meanwhile, on a sheet tray, place mushroom caps with ribs facing up. Season each with a drizzle of Yondu. Grill on high for 5 minutes, turn over, allowing liquid to drain; grill for another 5 minutes.
- To build the wellington, place thawed puff pastry on parchment paper. Spread half of the Swiss chard mixture in the middle of the sheet. Place mushroom caps on top and remaining Swiss chard mixture. Tightly roll pastry over mushrooms and continue to roll until the double layered pastry is facing down.
- Brush with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before slicing with serrated knife.
Yondu is available to purchase via its UK website and Amazon, retailing at £6.88 for 275ml and £4.48 for 150ml. Visit www.yondu.co.uk/recipes/ for cooking inspiration.
Follow the brand on Instagram: @yondu.uk and Facebook: @yondu.uk.
See also: The Ultimate Mince Pie Recipe for Christmas