Theodore Kyriakou, founder of Livebait, the Real Greek and the Greek Larder, has made it his life’s mission to bring the rich, culinary delights from the eastern Mediterranean basin to the UK. Here’s his simple method for preparing Htipiti
- 300g red onions, peeled
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 450g flame roasted red peppers
- 400g feta cheese
- Handful of thyme
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the onions in half, brush them with olive oil, season and roast for about 40 minutes or until soft.
- Let the onions cool down and then chop them coarsely.
- Dice the peppers and mix with the chopped onions, by hand.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add it to the pepper & onion mix.
- Add the remaining olive oil and thyme, then mix everything together, by hand (take care not to over mix as it will only turn into a paste. Small chunks of feta should still be visible).
- Serve with toasted sourdough bread.