600g prepared squid, cut into rings
3 tbsp olive oil
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp hot paprika
Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
A few sprigs of thyme
A few mint leaves
1 red onion, finely sliced into crescents
2 oranges, segmented
100g salad leaves, to serve
1. Rinse the squid thoroughly inside and out. Bring a large saucepan of water to a fierce, rolling boil, then add salt.
2. Add half the squid and cook it for 40 seconds exactly. Remove it with a slotted spoon and put it in a bowl of iced water.
3. Bring the water back to the boil and cook the rest of the squid in the same way.
4. Put the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, sherry vinegar and paprikas into a bowl. Drain the squid thoroughly and add them to the bowl, then stir and cover.
5. Leave them to chill in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight if you like.
6. Just before you are ready to serve, add the herbs and the red onion. Prepare the oranges and squeeze any juice out of the skin and membrane.
7. Add the segments and juice to the squid and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately over salad leaves.
8. If you’re using cuttlefish, you need one large prepared cuttlefish cut into strips. Cook it for 2–3 minutes—try a piece after 2 minutes for tenderness and cook for longer if necessary. Proceed as above.