- 100 g Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Dried yeast
- 120 ml Warm milk
- 5 Eggs
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Splash of vinegar
- 1/2 x 150g Boursin tomato, onion & chive
- 2- 2 1/2 tbsp Milk
- 200 g Smoked salmon
- Chives, to garnish
1. For the blinis: sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix together the yeast and milk, until well blended. Stir in egg yolk. Pour into the flour, stirring to create a smooth batter. Cover and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour, until risen.
2. Whisk the egg white until stiff and gently fold into the batter mixture. Grease a griddle or frying pan with a little oil and heat until piping hot. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan, well spaced apart, and cook until the surface starts to bubble, then flip over and cook until golden. Transfer to a warm plate and keep warm. Continue cooking to create 12.
3. Meanwhile for the breakfast, bring a pan of water to the boil and add a large splash of vinegar. Carefully crack the eggs into the pan and poach for about 3 minutes.
4. Quickly mix together the Boursin tomato, onion & chive and milk to create a thick pouring sauce and season well. Arrange 3 blinis on serving plates. Top with smoked salmon, then a poached egg and a big spoonful of the Boursin sauce. Snip over chives to garnish and season. Serve immediately.
Variation: As an alternative, use readymade blinis to cut down on time and simply follow packet instructions for warming through.
Calories per portion: 407
Cost per portion: £2.00