- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 400 g borlotti beans, drained
- 400 g can of tomatoes
- 150 g shredded Savoy cabbage
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml red wine
- Black pepper and sea salt
- Bay leaf
- 12 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 8 sausages
- 2 cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy based sauté pan or saucepan and add the shallots and sausages and sauté for 4-5 minutes, browning them all over.
2. Add the carrots and sauté for a further 3 minutes, not colouring them too much. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, beans, half the wine, stock, bay leaf, season well with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 15 minutes on a low heat. If the soup becomes too thick, add a little more stock, then add the finely shredded cabbage, parsley and the rest of the red wine.
4. Mix well and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the cabbage is just cooked.
5. Slice the sausages into three, place in a bowl, and pour over all the bean soup.
6. Season to taste. Serve with crusty bread and chopped parsley.