- 8 oz salted cod
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 30 mls olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- Black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 200 g polenta/ corn meal
- 1 l water
- 30 mls vegetable oil
- 30 g butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 3 spring onions
- 1 tin coconut milk
Salt fish and creole sauce:
1. Soak salt cod in water overnight, changing the water twice to remove excess salt.
2. Soak salt cod in boiling water for 1 hour.
3. Remove from water.
4. Remove skin, bones and flake cod fish.
5. Put oil and butter in a saucepan, add chopped onions and sauté for 5-10 minutes without colouring.
6. Add minced garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute without browning, add peppers and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add salt fish and whole scotch bonnet pepper and continue to cook through for approximately 3-5 minutes.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove scotch bonnet pepper.
1. Put oil, butter and spring onions in a pan and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add water, coconut milk and vegetable stock and heat until boiling.
3. Whisk polenta into boiling liquid until a thick paste (if too thick add a little more water), then cook for 5 minutes and pour into a buttered bowl.