Dutch-American model, actress and singer Rebecca Romijn, currently appearing as Number One in Star Trek: Discovery, says this ‘Hussar’s salad’ is one of her favourites when she visits her family in Holland.
Many countries have their own version of Russian salad in which the essential ingredients are meat, potatoes and beets. Prep time is only 15 minutes but don’t forget to allow for a couple of hours chilling to bring out the flavour.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 200g cooked and cubed pork or veal (or corned beef at a pinch)
- 2 apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 small beetroot, cooked and chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled – one finely chopped and the other thinly sliced
- 3 gherkins – two finely chopped and the other thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 small, new potatoes, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 45 ml oil
- 45ml white wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Mix the meat, apples, beetroot, 1 finely chopped egg, 2 chopped gherkins, onion and potatoes in a bowl.
- Mix the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, pour over the salad and toss thoroughly.
- Put several lettuce leaves on a flat serving dish.
- Arrange the salad in the boat shape on the lettuce.
- Cover the ‘boat’ with a very thin layer of mayonnaise and garnish with thin slices of egg, gherkin and tomato.
- Chill for two hours