Michele Rodriguez-Wise is a creative and innovative designer by trade whose passion for food, family and design all stem from her warm Spanish heritage. Having grown up with creative parents, Michele has experienced different cultures and worlds and applied all of those to her exquisite repertoire of dishes.
Michele’s passion for food, wine, hotels and restaurants is something she grew up with. Her parents came from the hotel and restaurant industry, running their own restaurant for over 30 years in Valencia, Spain where her elderly mother still lives today! More recently, Michele appeared on Series 17 of MasterChef where she battled the competition to make it to the quarter finals. Her dishes were loved by many, with TV personality, Greg Wallace stating “It’s a very brave thing to do, and in that I’m quite impressed” following Michele’s first ever attempt at a Thai curry without using curry paste.
See also: Golden Tomato Cook Hannah Such’s Prize-Winning Recipes
Having five daughters and two dogs, Michele understands and appreciates how a home needs to function and integrate in order to satisfy the needs of the individual and the broader family.
Michele’s Potatoes with Spicy Chorizo, Red Pepper & Tomato, Garnished with a Fried Egg (serves 8)
• 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil, or as needed
• 4 Medium potatoes, or equivalent in New Potatoes. Approx 2 lb. (1 kg) total weight, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices. If using large potatoes cut into quarters.
• 8 oz. (250 g) Spanish chorizo sausage sliced approx I/2 cm slices.
• 1 white onion, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into strips. or roasted red peppers in jar, sliced into strips.
• 3 Cloves of garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tsp. Pimentón dulce (sweet Spanish smoked pepper) (Paprika)
• 1/2 tsp of dried chillies.
• 120 ml or 4 fl.oz tomato passata or chopped tomato.
• Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 Eggs, 1 Fried Egg per person if serving in large dish, alternatively 1 quail egg for small tapas dish
• 2 tbs / Handful of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• In a large frying pan heat olive oil for minute or two
• Add the sliced potatoes and sauté, stirring often, until pale gold, 10 to 15 minutes. Should be soft in middle. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a dish.
• Add the chorizo to the pan and fry on medium heat stirring and turning often, until crisp and brown, about 3 / 4 minutes, if the mixtures is a little dry add a little more oil. Using slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to a dish.
• Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 mins, garlic, pimentos, dried chilli and sauté until the onion has absorbed all the spices, then add tomatoes and simmer for approximately about 8 minutes.
• Return the potato and chorizo to the pan and bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 -15 minutes.
• Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large serving dish or individual dishes.
• Fry eggs leaving yolk runny. Serve one per person or portion.
• Sprinkle with the parsley and serve warm.