Looking for a tasty treat to serve up for Mother’s Day? This Peach Frangipane Slice recipe from Del Monte is ideal. It’s vegetarian and can also be gluten-free, takes just 50 minutes to prepare, and serves 8-10, so Mum doesn’t have to be the only one to enjoy it!
Cook time: 15 minutes for base, 35 minutes final bake, plus cooling
For the base:
• 100g butter, softened
• 50g caster sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 125g plain flour or plain gluten-free flour
For the topping:
• 150g butter, softened
• 150g caster sugar
• 2 medium eggs
• Almond extract (optional – if you like a marzipan flavour)
• 100g ground almonds
• 50g plain flour or plain gluten-free flour
• 1 can (415g) Del Monte® Peach Slices in Juice, drained
• 15g flaked almonds
• Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and line a baking tin 16 x 24cm or similar with parchment.
- To make the base, beat the butter and sugar together thoroughly. Add the salt to the flour and work into the butter mix to form a soft dough.
- Press this over the base of the lined tin with your hands. Bake for 15 minutes until golden, then leave to cool while you make the topping.
- For the topping, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a few drops of almond extract if you would like to; then combine the almonds and flour and fold in.
- Spread this mix over the baked base and push the peach halves into it. Scatter the flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin then transfer to a board, dust with a little icing sugar, and serve.