- 1 kg Live Mussels
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pieces Onion , Finely chopped
- 2 pieces Garlic cloves, Finely chopped
- 150 ml White Wine
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 1 Small bunch Flat-leaf Parsley , Picked and chopped
- 1 Loaf Crusty bread , To serve
1. Rinse the mussels thoroughly under plenty of running water and pull off the stringy beards, throwing away any broken shells and any that don’t close tightly when you tap them.
2. Take a large heavy-based pan with a snug-fitting lid and heat the olive oil.
3. Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until soft.
4. Pour in the wine and as it boils and the alcohol burns, add the mussels and thyme. Cover and let the mussels steam for 3-4 minutes. They are ready when the shells have opened.
5. Add the cream and cook for 1 minute more.
6. Scatter with parsley and serve immediately with crusty bread, remembering to discard any mussels that haven’t opened.