- 3 medium egg whites or Dr. Oetker Egg White Powder
- 150 g caster sugar
- 5 ml Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract
- Dr. Oetker Bright Gel Food Colours
- 200 g Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ White Chocolate, broken into squares
- Dr. Oetker Shimmer 100s and 1000s, Pink Shimmer Sugar and Sugar Strands, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 110ºC. Line two large baking trays with baking parchment. In a large grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff and dry, alternatively used Dr. Oetker Egg White Powder and make up Egg Whites as stated in directions. Whisk in half the sugar. Gently fold in the remaining sugar along with the vanilla extract.
2. Equally divide the mixture between three bowls and add a little of one coloured gel food colour to each mixture. Carefully and gently fold in using a large metal spoon make three pastel coloured meringue mixtures.
3. Working on one coloured meringue at a time, put meringue mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle and pipe 4-5cm mounds on to the prepared baking trays.
4. Repeat with the remaining meringue mixtures to end up with approx. 30 mini meringues. Bake in the oven for about one hour until the meringues are crisp on the outside, but not browned – prop the oven door open slightly if they start to discolour. Cool on the baking trays.
5. To decorate, put the Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ White Chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water until melted. Remove from the water, beat until smooth and cool for 10 minutes.
6. Put the sugar decorations in three small bowls. Working on one meringue at a time, carefully dip the bottom in white chocolate and then in sugar decorations. Put back on the lined baking tray to set. Repeat until all the meringues are decorated then put aside in a cool place for about 30 minutes until set.
These meringues are crisp on the outside, yet stay chewy in the centre; they will keep in an airtight container for several days. Avoid putting the meringues in the fridge to set the chocolate as this softens the texture.