A completo is a very popular Chilean signature meal based on the concept of a “loaded” hot dog. Served by street vendors and other casual restaurants, this dish consists of your basic hot dog on a bun, topped with sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, mashed avocado, and a generous drizzle of mayonnaise.
You can use your favourite brand of hot dogs (and hot dog cooking method) and suitable hearty buns to make this easy and festive completo. These loaded dogs make for a hearty entree, and are great for eating outdoors, but we’d recommend serving with a plentiful supply of napkins. From MyRecipes.
See also: Strawberry Galette for Wimbledon
- 4 hot dogs
- 1 large ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove), mashed to a paste
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 hot dog buns
- ½ cup prepared sauerkraut
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Using a large saucepan add 1 qt of water and bring it to a boil. Add hot dogs to water, bring to a full boil and heat for 4-5 minutes. If you are using frozen hot dogs, boil for about 8 minutes.
- Mash avocado until mostly smooth. Stir in hot sauce, garlic, lime juice, and salt.
- Place hot dogs in buns and top each with 3 tablespoons avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.
See also: Mortar & Pestle Fish Tacos