- 20 Jalapeño chillies
- 140 g mature cheddar , grated
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Sunflower oil, for deep frying
1. Slit the Jalapeños along one side and carefully remove the seeds. Stuff them generously with the grated cheddar.
2. Put the flour in one shallow bowl and the beaten egg in another. Roll the Jalapeños in the flour, dip in the egg and then coat once more with flour, ensuring that they are completely covered.
3. Half-fill a large saucepan with oil. Heat until the oil reaches 190˚C (375˚F) on a cooking thermometer. If you don’t have a cooking thermometer, the oil is ready when a 2.5-cm cube of white bread dropped into it browns in less than 60 seconds.
4. Fry the Jalapeños in small batches for 6–7 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
The recipe is taken from Dan May’s fantastic Red Hot Chilli Cookbook