These white chocolate chip cookies from Hanna Miles’ book Christmas Cookies are flavoured with Lotus Biscoff spread, which gives a delicious spiced caramel flavour. They will keep for a few days, but are best eaten on the day they are made.
For the Snowmen
- 1 egg white
- 60 g caster sugar
For the cookies
- 115 g butter, softened
- 130 g caster sugar
- 60 g full-fat cream cheese
- 60 g Lotus Biscoff spread or peanut butter
- 170 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 100 g white chocolate chips
For the Decoration
- 140 g white chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- Orange and black food colouring gels
You will need:
- *Piping bag, fitted with a large round nozzle
- 2 large baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Cocktail sticks
- Preheat the oven to very low, about 130°C.
- Begin by making the snowmen. Whisk the egg white to stiff peaks. Gradually add the sugar, whisking constantly until the meringue is smooth and glossy. Spoon the meringue into the piping bag and pipe 14 circles about 3 cm in diameter on one of the baking sheets. On top of each, pipe a smaller ball for the snowman’s body, and then a third slightly smaller one on top for the head. Bake in the preheated oven for 45–60 minutes until the meringue is crisp.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4. Whisk together the butter, sugar and cream cheese until light and creamy. Add the spread and whisk in. Add the flour and chocolate chips, and whisk in. Put 14 spoonfuls of the dough on the second baking sheet a small distance apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10–15 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden brown. Leave to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Spoon a little of the melted white chocolate over each of the cookies and place a meringue snowman in the centre of each.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the icing sugar with a little water and orange food colouring. Use a cocktail stick to draw noses on each of the snowmen. Add a little black food colouring to the icing and then use a second cocktail stick to add small black eyes, mouths, buttons and arms.
- Leave for the icing and white chocolate to set.
The cookies will store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.