To celebrate World Fair Trade Day on May 14th, we bring you this delicious toffee cake recipe made using Tony’s Chocolonely dark milk pretzel toffee chocolate.
Fairtrade is a system of certification that aims to ensure a set of standards are met in the production and supply of a product or ingredient. For farmers and workers, Fairtrade means workers’ rights, safer working conditions and fairer pay. For shoppers it means high quality, ethically produced products. Find out more at www.fairtrade.org.uk.
Tony’s Chocolonely was founded by Teun van de Keuken, a Dutch journalist who launched a crusade against (child) slavery in the chocolate industry. He decided to lead by example and make 5,000 Fairtrade chocolate bars himself. Tony’s Chocolonely was born.
And because he felt as if he was the only person in the chocolate industry who cared about eradicating slavery, he named his chocolate ‘Chocolonely’. Find out more at https://tonyschocolonely.com.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 375g plain flour
- 10g baking powder
- 50g Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 275g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 365ml milk
- 250g butter
- 2 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 180g Tony’s Dark Milk Pretzel Toffee Chocolate
FOR THE CREAM:
- 250g whipping cream
- 180g Tony’s 70% dark chocolate
- Melt your bar of Tony’s Dark Milk Pretzel Toffee and let it cool. Do the same with the butter.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease two baking tins and dust them with cocoa powder.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, melted butter and melted chocolate and stir everything vigorously to form a smooth mix.
- Divide the mix evenly between both baking tins and bake for 35-45 mins.
- Let the cakes cool for a few mins, then remove it carefully from the mould. Let both cakes cool completely.
- Next melt your Tony’s dark chocolate and whip it with the cream.
- Place one of your bases onto a cake platter or plate, spread half of your chocolate-cream mix onto it.
- Place the second base on top and use the rest of the chocolate-cream mix for the topping. Decorate with extra choco chunks, pretzels and a drizzle of toffee.
This recipe has been shared as part of the Fairtrade Fortnight 2022 Choose The World You Want festival.
See also: Mary Berry’s Platinum Jubilee Union Flag Tart