If you’re looking for a light meal for midweek, try this feta and chickpea pasty recipe from Cooks&Co. It’s quick and simple, uses basic ingredients, looks great and will go down a treat with the whole family. For a vegan option you can replace the feta with tofu.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 75g frozen peas
- 400g can Cooks&Co Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g feta
- 2 Cooks&Co Red Frenk Chillies, thinly sliced
- 500g shortcrust pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in the peas and chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor, add 2-3 tbsp water and pulse to give a coarse texture, crumble in the feta and add the chillies, season to taste.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut 6 x 18cm circles. Divide the filling between the circles and brush the pastry edges with water, fold into a pastie shape, pressing the pastry edges to seal.
- Place on a baking tray, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Great served with mango chutney. Swap the feta for chopped tofu and brush with a little water for a vegetarian option.
See also: Indonesian Corn ‘Ribs’ for Veganuary