- —- For the Honey Shallot Relish —-
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tsp Runny honey
- Salt & Pepper
- —- For the Fritters —-
- 50 g Butter
- 8 Shallots, chopped finely
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 100 g Plain flour
- 100 ml Milk
- 100 g Goats’ cheese, crumbled
- 8 leaves Fresh basil, shredded
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 50 g White breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Start by making the relish. In a heavy based pan heat the olive oil. Add the sliced shallots and then the honey, combining well.
- Turn down the heat and allow to cook slowly and caramelize for approximately 15 minutes while you make the rest of the dish. Once cooked, season well.
- In a small casserole pan, melt the butter and add the chopped shallots and garlic, cook on a low heat for 3 – 4 minutes until softened.
- Add 50g of the flour, mix well then cook out for 1 minute on a low heat.
- Pour in the milk slowly, then add the goats’ cheese, mix well and leave to cool. Add the basil and season to taste.
- Roll the mixture into balls then roll in the last 50g of flour, then into the egg and finally the breadcrumbs, repeat in the egg and again in the breadcrumbs.
- When ready to serve deep fry in some hot oil at 180°C for 3 – 4 minutes until they are a light golden colour.
- Serve with a simple salad dressed with balsamic vinaigrette and a spoonful of relish.