- 2 pieces cod fillets , pin-boned and skinned
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- Olive oil
- white pepper, to season
- 1 parsley, finely chopped
- 100 g fine or rock salt
- 1 lemon
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 4 slices sourdough bread, thick
1. Start the dish a few days in advance. Lay the Norwegian cod in a plastic container and sprinkle the salt over the fish, after 24 hours you will notice a fair bit of liquid that the salt will have extracted from the cod, this is what we want. Remove, wash it well and soak in cold water in the fridge for a further 24 hours.
2. Remove and dry the cod. Steam for 6-7 minutes until cooked then place in a food processor with the garlic. Pulse it to a paste, then, with the motor running gently add the vegetable oil in a steady stream as if making mayonnaise.
3. When it becomes thick and quite stodgy (you may not need all the oil) add enough water with the motor still running to “let it down” until it becomes creamy. Season with white pepper.
4. Toast the bread then spread the Norwegian cod thickly on top, sprinkle with the parsley, a little lemon juice & olive oil. Dress the rocket with lemon juice and olive oil and serve alongside
Recipe created by Mitch Tonks, ambassador for Norwegian Seafood Council
For more information, see www.facebook.com/seafoodfromnorway