Becky Excell demonstrated these delicious chocolate crinkle cookies on the Get Baking! Stage at the BBC Good Food Show Winter 2022, and she returned for the more live cooking in the Summer Kitchen on Sunday 18th June at the BBC Good Food Show Summer 2023. These crinkle cookies are an easy make and the kids will enjoy helping to prepare them, and eating them!
- 60g cocoa powder (ensure dairy-free if necessary)
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175g gluten-free plain flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50g icing sugar
- Prepare a couple of baking trays by lining them with non stick baking paper.
- Sieve your cocoa into a large bowl, add in your oil and caster sugar and mix together till combined – it will be very thick (just do this with a spatula).
- Add in your eggs, one at a time and mix in-between each until combined. You can do this by hand or with an electric hand whisk.
- Add in your flour, xanthan gum and baking powder and mix until it all comes together to form a soft dough.
- Place into the fridge to chill for about an hour to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 170C fan/190C.
- Once chilled, remove from the fridge and place your icing sugar into a small bowl.
- Take about 45g of the dough and roll it into a ball in your hand. Then roll each ball into the icing sugar and place onto your prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for around 10-12 minutes until they have the lovely cracked effect on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray before allowing them to finish cooling on a rack.
See also: Japanese Matcha Tea for Culinary Delight