For dietary or ethical reasons, many of us are turning away from animal milk – but what’s the alternative? The experts from Veg of Lund explain about DUG potato “m!lk”
How is DUG potato m!lk made? Is it organic?
DUG potato m!lk is created using our patented potato and rapeseed oil emulsion. An emulsion is defined as a stable dispersion of two or more immiscible liquids (which are held in suspension by emulsifiers).
We conserve water through using the dried variety of potato, or so-called ‘potato flakes’, which means no water is transported.
We don’t use organic potatoes. The organic production of food products results in significantly poorer yields compared to conventionally grown potatoes. We strive more for it to be sustainable than to be organic. We believe more in sustainability for the next generation.
Why is it a good alternative to animal milk?
DUG potato m!lk has a wealth of benefits compared to animal milk:
• Healthy – Thanks to our potatoes, DUG is packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and carbohydrates. All DUG varieties are low in saturated fat, plus our DUG Unsweetened variety benefits from no added sugars.
• Nutritionally strong – DUG potato m!lk has been fortified with all the essential nutrients you find in cow’s milk (plus more), including: calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid.
• Better for the climate – DUG potato m!lk has a 75% lower climate footprint compared to regular cow’s milk.
• Allergen-friendly – All three DUG products are free from the top 14 most common allergens, including dairy, nuts, gluten and soy.
• Taste without compromise – Unlike other dairy alternative milks, our naturally creamy yet neutral-tasting recipe means DUG can be used just like any other milk without having an overpowering taste.
• Three delicious variants – Our three varieties means there’s a perfect DUG for every occasion. Thanks to our emulsion technology, our DUG m!lk won’t separate when added to hot drinks. It also works great in cooking and baking too!
What are the health advantages of DUG potato m!lk?
Potato m!lk has all the health advantages of dairy milk, without containing dairy itself. Potatoes are a great source of vitamins and minerals, plus they are free from common allergens which make it an ideal choice for those suffering with food intolerances. It’s naturally low in saturated fat and our Unsweetened variety benefits from no added sugars.
Is it suitable for vegans?
Yes. All three varieties of DUG potato m!lk are certified vegan-friendly by The Vegetarian Society.
Is it suitable for people who are lactose intolerant?
Yes. All three varieties of DUG potato m!lk are free from lactose.
Does it have a lower climate footprint than animal milk?
Yes, of course! The climate footprint of DUG potato m!lk is 75% lower than that of regular cow’s milk.
Is it suitable for all the cooking and drinks applications of animal milk?
Definitely! Thanks to our patented potato and rapeseed emulsion technology, DUG potato m!lk will not separate, regardless of how you use it. You can find recipes for smoothies, cooking and baking all on our website here: https://dugdrinks.com/recipes/
What are the different varieties of DUG potato m!lk?
Find out more about our 3 delicious varieties of DUG potato m!lk below:
• Original – a perfect, everyday hero that works equally well both added to your hot drinks and cereal (or baking!).
• Barista – produces a beautiful foam when heated (perfect for getting that barista-quality finish), or simply add it straight into your favourite cuppa!
• Unsweetened – just as delicious and creamy as our other versions, yet with the benefits of no added sugar. Ideal for those who prefer a less sweet taste in their milk.
What’s the story behind Veg of Lund?
Founded in 2016, Veg of Lund – the parent company for our brand, DUG – is a Swedish food technology company that has its roots in the southern Swedish region of Skåne.
The origin of the DUG potato m!lk comes from Eva Tornberg, professor in Food Technology at the renowned University of Lund. Professor Tornberg found potato protein to be an excellent emulsifier with no taint, making it an ideal base for plant-based drinks.
Not long after, the brand DUG was created and launched into the UK market in 2021.
Where can I find out more about Veg of Lund and DUG potato m!lk?
Please visit our website at www.dugdrinks.com where you can find out more about DUG in our FAQ section. Don’t forget to check out our recipe page too!
For information on Veg of Lund, please head over to our LinkedIn page: