Looking and feeling good can largely be attributed to having a great complexion. With a number of environmental factors playing havoc on our skin, it’s hard to know how to treat it and keep it in top condition. We speak to Ada Lamela, Global Corporate Educator for Pevonia International, about her top skincare tips for a clear complexion—taking into account specific skin type, lifestyle and age factors.
What are the most important skincare rules that everyone should follow?
These are my top skincare tips for a clear complexion:
- Have a routine that includes cleanser, toner, eye care, serum and care cream—use mornings and evenings.
- Remember that when cleansing the face, it also includes neck and décolleté.
- Do not wash your skin with hot water, this washes away natural skin oils that are crucial to your skin. When cleansing your skin use lukewarm water and finalize with a cool water rinse.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week with a gentle exfoliator and do not over exfoliate with the daily use of rotary brushes.
- Remove eye make-up with a suitable eye make-up remover using gentle inward and downward strokes.
- Always wear sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun and environmental pollutants. Ultraviolet light can cause premature aging.
- Use products according to your skin type and read the ingredients before using them.
How should your skincare regime change as you age? What kind of products should you be using when you’re 50+, for example?
As we age our body metabolism changes and so does our skin. Not only do we start lacking a lot of the important substance in our skin, like sebum, moisture and the production of collagen and elastin but also the loss of fat in our skin. Menopause and other health issues start to reflect their intentions on our skin as well, so what worked wonders for you when you were younger is no longer ideal. The goal is to maintain a youthful beautiful and even skin tone in our silver years without overdoing it. The need to adjust our skincare regimen as we blow out more candles is imperative for the rebirth of our skin as we get older.
For example, in our 50’s, new concerns start to arise so we start looking for more aggressive remedies, which is not necessarily the best solution. The good news is ‘no more pimples’ but say hello to age spots, wrinkles, broken capillaries, dryness, etc. It is very important to address these issues with the right ingredients that can target concerns without compromising our health. One of the most important skincare tips for a clear complexion at an older age, involves using the right products. Some of the products that I recommend for women over 50 is the lumafirm® Lift & Glow line and the Phyto-Elite® Stem Cell line by Pevonia. The lumafirm® Lift & Glow anti-aging collection will bring on visible radiance. Proven to perform, this is a powerhouse of ingredients that work deeply and quickly on face, eyes, neck, and décolleté with the best anti-free radicals, the latest generation of repairing peptides and outstanding lightening actives. Formulated with a select of the latest high-tech cosmetic ingredients with the most advanced manufacturing and delivery. The Phyto-Elite® Stem Cell line accelerates repair on the signs of aging on the skin by rejuvenating, hydrating and energizes our stem cells for a brighter younger skin tone. With the right skincare regimen and staying mentally and physically active we can certainly turn back the hands of time.
What do you think are the most exciting developments in skincare technology right now?
The latest technology that Pevonia® International uses is advanced manufacturing and delivery systems that deliver natural high-performance ingredients directly into the skin. By that, it ensures that each product works in synergy with the skin for maximum absorbency and truly phenomenal results.
See aslo: How to Take Better Care of Your Skin
When it comes to skincare which natural ingredients are the most effective?
The global demand from the consumer for natural ingredients in their skincare products is a huge one. Using natural ingredients is really important for a clear complexion; harsh chemicals can actually damage skin. Recognisable ingredients add a bit of comfort and peace of mind when treating specific needs in the skin and picking a product. With consumers becoming more knowledgeable when it comes to putting safe ingredients on their body, it is not surprising that they would opt for a well-known ingredient. Some of the ingredients to look out for are:
- Hibiscus Esculentus (Okra)—Preserves moisture, powerfully stimulates the nerve endings network to inhibit neuromuscular contractions, smooth and relax wrinkles.
- Kombucha—Sweetened black tea ferment that repairs, hydrates, firms, restores and aids lipo-filling.
- Caviar Extract—Repairs visible signs of aging, hydrates, moisturizes, softens, smoothes and neutralizes free radicals.
- Sea Whip Extract—Caribbean Gorgonian soft coral. Reduces inflammation, redness, heals and hydrates.
- Comfrey Root (Symphtum Officinale)—Regenerates, repairs, protects, increases skin renewal, restores the epidermis and has anti-aging effects.
- Mucor Miehei Extract—An enzyme extract and natural peeling agent that comes from Zygomicota fungi from fermented organic matter, like cheese. Keratolytic and exfoliant.
What would you recommend for oily, dry and combination skin?
For oily skin I recommend Pevonia’s® oily line, the Phyto – Gel Cleanser with coconut rosemary and lemon extracts, a gentle foaming cleanser that renders a deep cleansing without a dry or tightening feel and the Mattifying Oily Skin Cream that has a non-greasy light texture that normalizes oily secretions and reduces pore size. Oily skincare tips for a clear complexion usually revolve around the concept of ‘less is best’; you do not want to over stimulate the skin. I love our Myoxy –Caviar® line for drier types of skin, it has such a luxurious texture. This line is great for dry, mature and sun damaged skin and will actually promote visible repair. It tightens, lifts, brightens and evens out the skin tone. With combination skin we have to be more careful because the skin can be dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, such as the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin) so each area has to be treated separately as needed. Pevonia’s® “C” Complexe with Oxyzomes gel that delivers (MAP) Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate a water-soluble Vitamin C in a 12 hour time-release capsule for deep penetration and stability.
My skin is damaged from the sun, what can I do to repair it?
I would recommend the Micro-Retinol® line, Vitamin A derived from green leafy vegetables. Great for those with advanced signs of aging and sun damage exhibited by wrinkles, sagging skin with uneven skin tone or dark spots that are seeking smoother and tighter skin. When using these products it is important to stay away from the sun.
See also: Skincare Tips
Should you skincare change depending on the seasons?
Just like our wardrobe changes so does our skin with the different environmental conditions. Skin in the winter tends to be colder and dryer so my skincare tip for a clear complexion would be to shy away from foaming cleansers and switch to creamier type cleansers for more moisture. Day and night moisturiser is a key step for the prevention of dry cracked skin. In the summer the skin tends to be hot and sweaty causing more oil production so we want to focus on hydration and deep cleansing, foaming cleanse are more appropriate in this time. In spring we tend to be more sensitive to certain allergens so our skin tends to be more reactive a great time to renew with light gentle exfoliations and get facials. Fall is a time of transition, this is the perfect time to correct all the damage we did in the summer and get are our skin ready for winter.
What are the biggest dos and don’ts of good skincare?
- Do follow a homecare regimen in the morning and in the evening.
- Do use an eye make-up remover to gently remove the make-up from the eyes.
- Do use a toner or lotion after cleansing the skin to remove all impurities that unfiltered water leaves behind.
- Do use skincare products by their expiration date.
- Do read the ingredients and product direction before applying them.
- Do drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated
- Do not use skincare products that do testing on animals.
- Do not smoke or expose your skin to sunburn, they increase the production of free-radicals.
- Do not dry off your skin with a towel by rubbing it, instead pat or blot dry.
- Do not go to sleep with your make up on. Sleeping with your make up on prevents the skin from repairing itself.
- Do not pick, scratch or touch your skin, this habit leads to bacteria. formation on the skin that can lead to inflammation and scarring.
- Do not use products that contain synthetic fragrances—alcohols or sulfates.
Our thanks to Pevonia International for their assistance with this article. If you wish to find out more about Pevonia’s products and skincare tips for a clear complexion, visit their website: pevonia.co.uk
If you have enjoyed reading this article on skincare tips for a clear complexion, click here to read more on Celebrity Angels about suffering from acne and how to treat it.