This is a ‘must-try’ sushi roll. By using a soft cheese, although it is a vegetarian roll, it becomes succulently rich. Fusion can be very successful!
Makes 2 rolls
2 ripe tomatoes
1 dried nori sheet
225g cooked sushi rice
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
1/2 ripe avocado
60g soft cheese such as brie or camembert
1 roasted red pepper
1/4 medium cucumber, cut into sticks
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Make a little criss-cross score at the base of the tomatoes, add them to the pan of boiling water and leave for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water. Peel off the skins, cut each tomato into quarters and remove the seeds.
2. Cut the nori sheet in half and place one half on the sushi mat. Wet both hands and press a handful of sushi rice on top of the nori, spreading it out evenly.
3. Mix the black and white sesame seeds together and then sprinkle them in a thin line on top of the rice.
4. Cover with a sheet of cling film, then place another sushi mat over the top. Lift and hold the entire assembly and turn it over. Take the sushi mat on top (originally the bottom) off.
5. Peel and remove the stone from the avocado and slice into ½cm slices. Arrange the avocado slices with the tomatoes, soft cheese, red pepper and cucumber sticks across the nori in a straight line.
6. Using both hands, lift the end of the mat closest to you with your thumbs and index fingers. Carefully roll up the nori sheet (using the sushi mat as a guide), securing the fillings as you go, rolling towards the far side. Make sure not to press too firmly otherwise you’ll squash the tomatoes. Repeat the process with the other half of the nori sheet and remaining ingredients to make a second roll.
7. Take the cling film off and slice the rolls into 8 pieces.