A stalwart of British cooking, the roast dinner is a tradition that will never die.
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
12 shallots, peeled (or 6 echalion shallots, peeled and halved)
1 celeriac, cut into rough 4cm chunks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
1 large lemon
1 small garlic bulb, separated into cloves and peeled
1 Omega 3 whole chicken
1 pack of Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients chicken stock
1 sachet of Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients bouquet garnish
1. In a large deep casserole dish heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of butter. When hot add the shallots, celeriac and carrots and cook until starting to brown for about 5 minutes.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and set aside.
3. Put the squeezed-out lemon and half the garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
4. Push the vegetables to the side of the casserole dish to make a space for the chicken.
5. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice and rest of the garlic.
6. Place in a preheated oven 180C fan/gas mark 4 and cook with the lid on (or foil) for 25 minutes.
7. Remove the lid and cook for a further 25 minutes to brown the chicken (make sure the juices have run clear or a probe inserted into the thickest parts reads over 75C).
8. Remove the chicken and the vegetables and arrange on a platter. Cover with foil and set aside.
9. Strain off the gravy in a sieve and mash the garlic through so a garlicky paste drops into the gravy. Reduce this by a 1/3 and serve with the chicken and vegetables.