From the age of around 20, collagen production declines and we start to see fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. We might also experience dry, flaky patches and other conditions.
While a sensible skin care routine and ‘anti-ageing’ cosmetics can help, if you reach the stage where you think more direct action is needed, there are also many hi-tech medical procedures to choose from.
As with any clinical procedure, the safety and success of a dermatological treatment depends on the skill and experience of the practitioner, so make sure yours is qualified and comes recommended by previous satisfied customers.
You should expect a no-obligation consultation before any treatment and a full explanation of the proposed treatment and why it is right for you. The range of possible treatments is wide, and of course costs vary, so consider all the options.
Dermal Filler injections formulated from hyaluronic acid, a sugar compound which occurs naturally in the skin, can restore volume, add definition and smooth lines. They should be done only under the supervision of an experienced and professional aesthetic injector, particularly for the more delicate facial areas.
One of the best-known cosmetic treatments, Botox (Botulinum toxin) is a protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles by paralysing the muscles. But there are many alternatives to this option.
Before You Botox
Resurfacing Laser is a cutting edge treatment used to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, uneven pigmentation, scars, open pores and sun damage on the face, neck, décolletage and hands, penetrating deep into the epidermis to remove old and damaged cells, stimulating production of new collagen.
Skin Peels involve the application of a non-toxic chemical solution to the skin, removing the top layer of dead skin cells and encouraging new ones to grow, with results including evening of skin texture and tone, reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and reduction of sun damage and inflammation caused by acne.
Non-Surgical Fat Reduction uses ultrasound waves to selectively target fat cells without affecting neighbouring tissue. The fat cells become more permeable after treatment, allowing the transport out of the cell of triglyceride fats which are eliminated by the body’s systems over a few days.
Thread lifts using PDO (polydioxanone) or PLA (polylactic acid) treat loose skin around the mid to lower face. Dissolvable threads are inserted into the face using a cannula, lifting loose skin and improving its texture.
There is no incision, and this ‘lunch-time facelift’ gives immediate results lasting for about 18 months.
Preventing Signs of Ageing
Of course prevention is better than cure, so follow our tips to stave off the time when you feel medical procedures are the only option.
- To relieve dry skin, stay hydrated, stick to mild soaps and cleansers with lukewarm (not hot) water and moisturise regularly.
- Wrinkles appear from around the age of 30 as there’s a decline in the skin’s natural ‘scaffolding’ and firming substances including collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid. To help reduce the visibility of wrinkles, protect your skin from the sun, get lots of sleep and explore active ingredients in your cosmetic routine.
- Age spots or ‘liver spots’ are flat brown, grey or black spots caused by excess melanin, usually occurring on sun-exposed areas. Use a broad-spectrum sun cream that helps protect against two different types of UV rays.
- Skin tags are small, raised growths made of loose collagen fibres, usually flesh-coloured and commonly appearing on the eyelids, neck and body folds. Skin tags are harmless, but can become irritated. Speak to your doctor about cauterization, cryotherapy or ligation, and ignore old wives’ tales about cutting them off yourself or using iodine to reduce them.
- Peptides, protein fragments made from amino acids, are popular for treating stretch marks, wrinkles and wounds, while retinoids derived from vitamin A are widely recommended for their ability to minimise the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and pores, and even tackle sun damage and acne. This ‘miracle ingredient’ works by increasing cell turnover and stimulating collagen and elastin production, making the skin appear hydrated and even-toned. Suitable for any skin type, it’s best applied at night.
- Vitamin C is one of the post potent antioxidants, particularly effective as a serum, and can brighten skin, promote an even skin tone, neutralise damage from free radicals and minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Apply your serum in the morning to keep it separate from your retinol, and try combining vitamin C with other micronutrients, such as zinc and vitamin E, for better results.
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) work to exfoliate the uppermost layers of skin. Glycolic acid and lactic acid are among the most popular and well researched. At concentrations of five percent and above, these acids can soften the signs of sun damage, assist the absorption of important ingredients and ‘teach’ the skin to better retain its natural moisture. Look at AHA-based creams, serums or toners, and consult a specialist about higher-strength AHA facials to revitalise your complexion.
Take Perfect Care of Your Face with ZAHEDA® Skincare
The first step in any beauty regime should be cleansing. The Laser Treatment Clinic offers cutting-edge science-led formulations from ZAHEDA® Skincare that are gentle yet effective and respect the skin’s natural balance for a healthy glowing complexion.
ZAHEDA® Skincare founder Zaheda Hafez utilized her 20 years clinic experience and collaborated with specialist cosmetic scientists to create innovative formulations containing an exclusive complex of marine actives, botanical actives and essential oils.
ZAHEDA® Skincare ingredients include Wakame Sea Kelp and Marine Plant Extract, rich in vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12, delivering powerful collagen boosting benefits for clear, supple, plump, more youthful-looking skin.
Contact the clinic to talk to a skin specialist about any questions or concerns. Whatever your skin type or skin concern they have the solution for you.
ZAHEDA® Skincare from
The Laser Treatment Clinic,
1 Harley Street London W1.
Spot The SIgns Of Premature Ageing